Backyard Pools Buying Tips
Planning is the most important part of any pool project: backyard pools vary in size, but it’s important that the size of your yard meets the requirements for your pool design. This saves many headaches later on.
Pool placement is also important. Sunny areas will help keep your pool water warm, but you’ll want to keep the pool away from windy areas, as wind blowing over a backyard pool can greatly increase evaporation. As a general rule, pools should be 8-10′ from trees.
Make sure that the pool is easy to access and see from your house and think through walkways, patios and decks you may need or want to add. Also consider decks, patios, slides and spas and build in extra room.
One final check before visiting your local pool builder is HOA and town regulations. Do you have permission to build a pool? Are there any zoning regulations? Don’t develop too far until you know all the laws in your area.
*Please note that aboveground pool permitting is the responsibility of the homeowner.
Backyard Pools Sizes and Shapes
One of the earliest decisions you’ll have to make is what size and shape pool best fits your project.
The size of your pool will depend on the amount of space you are willing to allot to a pool. The smallest pools are 15 to 18 feet in diameter and the largest can go up to 30ft round or 18 x 36 foot oval!
The shapes of aboveground pools are generally limited to two styles:
- Oval pools maximize available yard space and provide room for laps, water basketball, volleyball and other family sports.
- Round pools are easy to install and offer more pool for the money spent.
For families with just one child, or only entertaining on the weekends you can go with a smaller pool, but families that plan on having 6+ people often should build at least a 24′ pool.
The height of a pool can range from 48” to 52”.
Backyard Pools Materials
Today’s pools feature sophisticated engineering and ultra-durable materials. Usually, a vinyl lining is laid over a supporting structure made of steel, aluminum, wood or resin. Resin offers advantages over other types of materials in that it does not get hot, rust or corrode like steel or aluminum and it requires little maintenance.
Injection molded resin results in strong and maintenance free pool components:
- Permits the flexibility to curve forms reinforced with diagonal ribbing
- Reinforces the components and curves top seats for a truly round top seat
- Enables a sturdy snap-on process eliminating most of the hardware for reduced assembly time and effort
- Ensures maximum resistance while offering much more lightness and rigidity than steel
- Retains little air for even consistency and strength throughout
- Permits texturing arching and detailing for superior quality and style
If you are looking to use a salt system, you cannot have a steel pool. You will have to buy a resin pool.
A wide variety of attractive wall patterns are available, allowing you to design your pool to your landscaping and neighborhood.
You will add to the beauty of your pool with exclusive patterned liners that customize your pool and make a stylish statement in your backyard.
*Please note that not all liners are available with certain wall patterns. Contact Rising Sun Pools for details.
Backyard Pools Installation
Aboveground pool installations have a number of steps and should be completed by a trained professional. When Rising Sun Pools installs aboveground models we:
- Level the ground – it is very important that the ground surface for your pool is firm and solid. The pool area must be free of rocks, roots or other sharp-edged objects. Rising Sun Pools will level the ground up to 20” for no charge.
- Place patio blocks under all uprights
- Sand bottom base
- Bond pool wall
- Install filter system and assemble ladder
- Removal of all trash from worksite
Rising Sun Pools aboveground installations do NOT include:
- Water to fill
- Backfilling, landscaping or drainage
- Tree or stump removal
- Dirt removal from pool site
- Electrical work
- Installation of ladder – Rising Sun Pools will not put the ladder inside the pool. You will need to do this once proper safety fences and gates have been installed.
Be sure to call NO CUTS at 800-632-4949 before starting your project to ensure no underground wires or gas lines will be damaged by our digging.
After you have chosen the components for your pool, you must select the equipment that keeps your water clean. Hayward offers filtration systems that help you spend more time enjoying your pool and less time maintaining it. Pumps and filters work together to ensure that water circulates properly and that you are able to get the most out of your pool investment.
Pumps – the heart of your pool system, pumps create a vacuum which pulls water from the pool through an automatic skimmer and then on a journey through a filter and other accessories such as a heater, chlorinator and cleaner before returning to the pool. Most pumps are quiet and will help you keep your pool immaculately clean. Rising Sun Pools offers the Power-Flo Matrix® pump for aboveground pools. A 2-speed pump upgrade is also available.
Filters – help keep your pool clean by catching any undesirable grass, twigs and other debris. Rising Sun Pools offers the Pro Series Top Mount sand filter for aboveground pools which offers superior control over your filter settings.
Heaters – Heaters allow you to start your swimming season earlier, extend it later and enjoy the most comfortable water temperatures possible. A heater increases the value and efficiency of your pool.
Cleaners – Automatic pool cleaners keep your water sparkling. They vacuum everything from microscopic dust to large leaves and help make maintenance a breeze.
Salt Systems – Salt systems reduce the time you spend cleaning and maintaining your pool by balancing your pool's pH levels and are a perfect alternative to chlorine for those with sensitive skin. Rising Sun Pools carries Aqua Trol Aboveground Chlorination products.
Lights – Lighting inside and around your pool offers safety and ambiance.
Covers – Covers keep water clean and retain heat when pool is not in use.
Backyard Pools Reviews
Intex 12-Foot by 30-Inch Metal Frame Backyard Pools Set
- Nobody builds a metal frame pool like Intex
- With Intex SUPER-TOUGH liners and our high quality, incredibly strong metal frames
- Filter Pump and instructional DVD included.
- Ready for water in 30 minutes
- Room for the whole family
- You will enjoy a pool that is easy to assemble, beautiful to look at, and certain to provide years of fun
Recommended Price: $99.99
Summer Waves Elite 20' Ft. Metal Frame Backyard Pools Set
- 20-foot diameter metal frame pool with included 1,500-gallon filter system
- Durable metal frame stands up to heavy-use and the elements
- Ready for water in as little as 60 minutes
- For ages 6+
- Includes SFS350 SkimmerPlus 110/120V filter pump with GFCI, pool cover, ladder, ground cloth, and deluxe maintenance kit
Recommended Price: $699.99
Get ready to have the coolest backyard on the block, because when you choose the Summer Waves Elite 20-Foot Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump, everyone and their uncle will want to show up at your doorstep for a pool party. This pool set has everything you need to set up and maintain your pool so you spend more time chilling in the water and less time buying accessories and supplies. It comes with a SFS350 SkimmerPlus 110/120V filter pump with GFCI, pool cover, ladder, ground cloth, and deluxe maintenance kit. The whole thing can set up in as little as 60 minutes, and with its durable steel and PVC design, it handles up to 8,241 gallons of water and as much fun as you can throw at it. Put on your bathing suit and sunscreen, because when you choose the Summer Waves Elite 20-Foot Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump, you might just want to live by the poolside all summer long.
Intex 18ft X 10ft X 42in Oval Frame Backyard Pools Set
- Engineered for strength, the Oval frame pool is supported by strong, durable Steel frames which are powder coated for rust resistance and beauty
- Connect the powerful Krystal clear cartridge filter pump to enjoy clean, refreshing water
- Ready for water in 30 minutes, - Follow the Instructional DVD for easy set up, and enjoy the fun! water capacity: (80%) 2, 885 gallons
- Includes: Krystal clear cartridge filter pump with 1, 000 GPH (110-120V). ladder. Ground cloth. Debris cover. Super-tough laminated PVC sidewalls
- Convenient drain plug that connects to a garden hose so water can be drained away from pool or house area
- Do not set up the pool on sand, mud, or any soft or loose soil conditions.
Recommended Price: $299.99
Intex Oval frame pool set has a combination of the easy assembly of an easy set pool & the strength & support of a metal frame pool. This long, oval-shaped pool fits long, narrow backyards, that cannot accommodate large round pools, & it's a perfect shape for laps & volleyball games. Engineered for strength, the Oval frame pool is supported by strong, durable steel frames which are powder coated for rust resistance & beauty. Your backyard will be the place to be all summer as your family can relax & play. Connect the powerful Krystal clear cartridge filter pump to enjoy clean, refreshing water. Ready for water in 30 Min, - follow the instructional DVD for easy set up, & enjoy the fun! water capacity: (80%) 2, 885 gallon. Includes: Krystal clear cartridge filter pump with 1, 000 GPH (110-120V). ladder. Ground cloth. Debris cover. Super-tough laminated PVC sidewalls. Convenient drain plug that connects to a garden hose so water can be drained away from pool or house area.
Intex 24ft X 12ft X 52in Ultra Frame Rectangular Backyard Pools Set
- Engineered for strength, the Ultra Frame Pool is supported by strong, durable steel frames which are powder coated for rust resistance and beauty.
- Connect the Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump to enjoy clear, sparkling water. Ready for water in 60 minutes.
- Water capacity: (90%) 8,403 gallons. Includes: Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump 2,100 gph (110 - 120V). Ladder. Ground Cloth. Debris Cover.
- Requires an Intex filter pump with a minimum flow rate of 800 gph
- Vacuum sucks debris off the pool floor and through the filter
- Attaches to the outlet connector in the pool with a 24-feet 7-Inch hose
Recommended Price: $831.99
H2O GO Bestway Hexagon Family Backyard Pools
- Large enough for the whole family with three built in inflatable seats to relax or play.
- Wide inflatable side walls with three cup holders.
- Constructed using rugged heavy gauge vinyl for a durable and long lasting pool.
- Inflated Dimensions: Over 8.5 feet wide! 105 x 97 x 20 inches.
Recommended Price: $141.99
Backyard Pools Hidden Costs
A bright swimming pool on a sunny summer afternoon is always filled with smiles, laughs and all around fun. Swimming pools are great for the family and increasing your home’s value, but they also come with many maintenance items that will lighten your pockets.
Before installing a new outdoor swimming pool, be sure to see the most common costs of buying and maintain a swimming pool. If they don't scare you away and you're ready to add your own, get in touch with local swimming pool contractors.
Maintenance Costs of Standard Pools
Most likely, you will be installing a standard swimming pool that will require you to maintain the water’s pH balance with chemicals. Sodium hypochlorite will raise the pool’s pH while granular acid will lower it. It’s important to test the water’s balance once a week. You should also provide additional treatment for your pool following a storm, intense heat or growing algae.
There are additional chemicals you must add to kill algae and bacteria. Chlorine is the most popular chemical. It comes in the form of liquid, tablets and a powdery substance. The tablets are often a better choice because they dissolve slowly over time and do not require much maintenance.
On average, expect maintenance to cost $178, but know that the costs will be heavily dependent on the size and quality of your pool.
Costs of Pool Covers
You will not be using the pool 24/7 and therefore, need to protect it from snow, leaves and other harmful items. Every pool owner needs to have a pool cover.
One of the most affordable types are mesh pool nets that cover the tops of both inground and above ground swimming pools. While these won't necessarily warm the water or stop it from freezing, they do prevent leaves and debris from falling in and blocking the filtration system. Expect to pay anywhere from $40 to $200 for a mesh pool net cover.
Some pool covers are designed to heat the water of the pool, which makes it a viable swimming option for much of the year. These covers can be made for inground or above ground pools and they are often a thick blue insulated material. The low-end price for these covers is $139, but professional installation and high-quality solar warmth may cost as much as $1,305.
Finally, winter pool covers are designed to stay in place for several months at a time, and it secures the pool from leaves, debris or snow. Expect to pay upwards of $59 for a winter pool cover.
Cost of Liner Replacement for Above Ground Pools
Despite its lower cost for installation, above ground pools may eventually need substantial repair. The biggest problem is a ripped liner, which will have to be replaced entirely. Expect to pay $700 for this replacement, with $500 going to the costs of labor and $200 going to the replacement liner itself.
You should be prepared to dedicate at least four hours a week to pool maintenance. On top of the maintenance costs, this can be a large time commitment. But remember, the hours spent in the pool will undoubtedly make it worth your while.
You May Also Find Interesting Next Pages On Our Website: